A dad and his daughters, loving life in New York City

Monday, November 27

Pinkberry vs. Crazy Bananas

I eat a bowl of ice cream pretty much every day, and Bo and Co are more than happy to join me when they're here. But frozen yogurt? Yeah, not so much. However, after Canstruction last week I realized that I was right near the new Pinkberry (on 32nd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues), which arrived from Los Angeles about a month ago in a blizzard of fro-yo hype. Then on my way across town I saw that Crazy Bananas (32nd St. between Madison and 5th Aves.) had also just opened. Dueling desserts seemed the only prudent course of action.


I must say, I really wanted Crazy Bananas to win. I liked their name, I liked the silly hats on my VERY smiley servers, I liked the fact that—and this, I'm pretty confident, is unique as compared to all other frozen-treat establishments in New York City—the store prominently, proudly features a display case of happy wooden phalluses. But although I was repeatedly told that this was "real" yogurt (as an inducement? a warning?), it tasted pretty much like every other such thing I've dared try over the years... which is to say, it tasted like cold chemicals. And the toppings I had—strawberry, pineapple and chocolate—were totally freezer... not -burned, but -blanded. Sorry, Crazy Bananas.

And now the truly stunning news: Pinkberry is absolutely delicious. Really, I couldn't get over how tasty it was, how different from any other non-ice-cream frozen treat I've ever had. It was tangy and a little sour and refreshing and clean and absolutely addicting—one of those things you practically shovel into your mouth because you just can't wait to get the next bite in there. You have two choices: plain or green tea, and there are lots of the usual and some unusual toppings (Cap'n Crunch, anyone?). I went with plain, with pineapple and chocolate chips, and I couldn't have been happier. If I still worked in that neighborhood, I would definitely go a couple times a week. Plus, the store itself is nicely designed. No wooden phalluses, true, but plenty of Philippe Starck chairs and lots of dots and those Le Klint hanging lamps. Coming soon: Pinkberries on the Upper East Side, in Nolita, and in Chelsea.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying Crazy Bananas. I saw it today and wondered if it was a cheaper take on Pinkberry. Have you tried Red Mango yet?

8:58 PM, December 10, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think crazy bananas is awesome maybe you just had a bad experience...all of their toppings are very fresh

12:19 AM, March 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god! I just had both! I found Pinkberry to be totally bland, boring and like a weird frozen yogurt starbucks... the employees had no personality! BUT the people at Crazy Bananas were SO friendly, so personable... and they have that awesome Dduk ingredient people!!!!!!!

Pinkberry is corporate and boring, you can't even get a free taste to choose, they take your money FIRST then you get your product, Crazy B is the opposite... they smile and let you taste, and then you can make a happy decision.

The owner is super nice and friendly!!

I also found pinkberry to be too cold, and lacked flavor.

Crazy B was so yogurty and healthy tasting...

I think you had a rough day : )

10:34 PM, March 24, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way, Crazy Bananas is SOOOO much better than PinkBerry. Give it another chance!

9:26 AM, March 25, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg crary b is so nice!!! give it another shot=)

6:33 PM, April 14, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you read the NY Times article on Pinkberry - full of artificial stuff/chemicals? Not Crazy Banana - he makes it fresh in the store. I eat it every day!! You must try it again.

1:01 PM, April 25, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you read the NY Times article on Pinkberry - full of artificial stuff/chemicals? Not Crazy Banana - he makes it fresh in the store. I eat it every day!! You must try it again.

1:01 PM, April 25, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you read the NY Times article on Pinkberry - full of artificial stuff/chemicals? Not Crazy Banana - he makes it fresh in the store. I eat it every day!! You must try it again.

1:02 PM, April 25, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We go to Crazy Banana EVERY single day for lunch. It is the most refreshing and tasty frozen yogurt we have ever had and we love Mr. Kim. Please keep going!!

3:30 PM, April 28, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another vote for crazy bananas. It's much more natural tasting than pinkberry, the owner is friendly and nice, and i just prefer supporting him.

9:49 PM, May 04, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy Bananas is SOOOOOO much better than Pinkberry!!!! Pinkberry is LOADED with chemicals and has bland, mass-produced flavors. Crazy Bananas is fresh, fun flavors, and the toppings are NOT frozen. I actually had it TWICE today! The owner is so sweet,too. LOVE IT!!!!

6:43 PM, May 15, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Epic fail.

9:48 PM, August 25, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta totally disagree. LOVED Crazy Bananas! The fruit toppings I chose (mango, raspberry, & blackberry) tasted totally fresh - that was my first comment to my friend when I tried them. The frozen yogurt was delicious! Very smooth and everything fro-yo should be!

9:53 PM, March 22, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BLASPHEMY! I just went to Crazy Bananas tonight and it was anything but terrible. The fruits were FRESH and the yogurt was DELICIOUS.
Maybe you went there a few years ago when they were slightly newer, but if that is the case, then they definitely improved with age. Or the other possibility is that you are from LA and are just more naturally inclined to pinkberry since thats all the rage there.

12:10 AM, May 22, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually ran into the owner at wholefoods buying fresh skim milk and organic fruits.

pink berry was in a law suit for lying about calorie content. crazy bananas is a million times better. i will not step foot in a pink berry.

10:23 AM, July 12, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home