A dad and his daughters, loving life in New York City

Friday, June 15

Dirty Bird To Go (Revisit)

Scoboco got a big bag of takeout from Dirty Bird To Go a little over a year ago, maybe a week after it first opened, and we were completely underwhelmed: by the service, by the selection, and, especially, by the food, which we thought at the time to be "stunningly bland."

But given the pedigree of the owners (Southern folk late of Jake's Luxury Oyster Bar), the nagging feeling that I went too soon, and am now missing out (the place couldn't have survived this long if it were still serving food as poor as we experienced that day, right?), and, most important, the fact that fried chicken happens to be one of my favorite things in the world, I knew I needed to give these birds another chance. Which happened last Friday evening on my way to play with Pablo. And man am I glad I did.

I ordered the two piece Buttermilk Dipped Free-range Fried Chicken, requesting dark meat. The pieces were smaller than I would have liked (there was a moment of real sadness when I opened the carton in Williamsburg and saw my slim pickings), but they tasted terrific: juicy, crispy, full-flavored, fresh, and genuine. A truly top-notch fried thigh and leg. And my Macaroni and Cheese side dish was equally excellent, though again perhaps a little stingy in the size: the pasta had some bite; the cheese was nice and, um, cheesy; the whole thing a savory, creamy delight. The one mistake here was the Unleavened Shallot Cornbread, which was dry, sullen, and overwhelmed with onion.

Dirty Bird To Go is located on 14th Street just west of Seventh Avenue. Though primarly a take-out place, there are few stools inside and a bench out front, making it a definite Quick Bite consideration if you're passing through the neighborhood.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely. I adore their fried chicken (and I'm a harsh critic). You chose wisely with the side-- they are rather hit or miss. But what's up with the cornbread. How can a place that produces such good chicken have such bad cornbread?

7:41 PM, June 17, 2007

 
Blogger Rachael Rakes said...

I don know man. If you're headed to wburg, you might as well get it fresh at Pies and Thighs, no? And their sides and biscuits kill.

11:18 AM, June 20, 2007

 
Blogger Scott said...

Excellent point Rachael. Thanks for the reminder. Next time...

1:35 PM, June 20, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats funny that you don't like the cornbread. I think that it's absolutley wonderful- right up there with their fried chicken. it's different and intersting and i love the shallot flavor. i think the mac n' cheese has good flavor, but everytime i've eaten it (and I will again) the pasta is overcooked. What I love about the fried chicken (aside from the flavor, juiciness and the whole cooked-to-perfection-everytime thing) is that it stays crispy for what seems like forever (or a twenty minute walk back to my apartment).
thanks for the review though, I will definitely taste the cornbread with a more discriminating palate next time!

11:11 PM, June 22, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home