A dad and his daughters, loving life in New York City

Saturday, August 18

The National at the South Street Seaport

The rain stopped just in time tonight, because I'm not sure I could have convinced my lovely daughters to stay for The National's entire 15-song, 50-minute set had it been pouring. But I got lucky, Bo and Co had fun watching me have fun, and though it was by no means a perfect show, to hear so much good music for free on a breezy summer's night, I'm definitely not complaining.

As often seems to be the case with these free outdoor concerts, the band had a little trouble gaining momentum early, but around about the sixth or seventh song the crowd really started dancing and singing along, and the show's last half hour or so was excellent... especially, I would say, the back-to-back-to-back pre-encore trio of Daughters of the Soho Riots, Fake Empires, and Mr. November.

Anyway, here's the (nearly) complete set list (little help on song eight?):
1. Start a War
2. Mistaken For Strangers
3. Secret Meeting
4. Brainy
5. Baby We'll Be Fine
6. Slow Show
7. Abel
8. ? UPDATE: Squalor Victoria (thanks anon...)
9. Racing Like a Pro
10. Apartment Story
11. Daughters of the Soho Riots
12. Fake Empire
13. Mr. November
---
14. Murder Me Rachel
15. About Today

There are two more free Seaport concerts this summer: Camera Obscura on August 24, and Battles (which could be amazing) on the 31st.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

track 8 was squalor Victoria, the setlist is 100 percent correct

1:22 AM, August 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the 2 opening bands get to do their sets?

2:12 AM, August 18, 2007

 
Blogger nyctaper said...

Great set, but unfortunately Matt's microphone was screwed up the entire show. It was crackling every time the band picked up the volume as he tried to sing louder. Ultimately, he couldn't be heard other than the quiet songs.
I recorded the show and I'm uploading it to my server. It will be on my blog tomorrow morning, but the crackling in the mic makes it not the greatest listen.

2:19 AM, August 18, 2007

 
Blogger Scott said...

@ anon #1 Thanks.

@ anon #2 We showed right before The Forms took the stage, and because of rain delays, they were only allowed to do three songs. I had never heard the band before, and liked them quite a it. I'm not sure about Takka Takka.

@ nyctaper Yeah the sound wasn't great but I figured it was because we were so far back... though actually perfectly situated for Bo and Co because we were standing on this ramp which allowed them to see.

7:40 AM, August 18, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

takka takka did get to do their set, but i believe they only played 3-4 songs before it started pouring again.

10:27 AM, August 18, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home