A dad and his daughters, loving life in New York City

Tuesday, January 1

The Best of 2007: Movies

I saw 135 movies in the theater this year. Here are my ten favorite, in alphabetical order:

1. American Gangster
2. The Bourne Ultimatum
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
4. Helvetica: A Documentary Film
5. The Lives of Others
6. Michael Clayton
7. No End In Sight
8. The Savages
9. Sicko
10. Zodiac

If the above didn't exist, my alpha-sorted top ten would probably look like this:

1. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
2. Charlie Wilson's War
3. The Darjeeling Limited
4. In the Valley of Elah
5. Lars and the Real Girl
6. A Mighty Heart
7. Once
8. Protagonist
9. Starting Out in the Evening
10. Wristcutters: A Love Story

And what were the ten best movies I saw with my daughters, you ask?

1. Enchanted
2. In the Shadow of the Moon
3. Juno
4. Nancy Drew
5. Persepolis
6. Ratatouille
7. The Simpsons Movie
8. Spiderman 3
9. Stardust
10. Sydney White

Finally, here are ten movies that I've seen on other Best of 2007 lists that wouldn't even crack my Top 50:


1. Atonement
2. Away From Her
3. Bug
4. Grindhouse
5. The Host
6. I'm Not There
7. Into the Wild
8. Romance and Cigarettes
9. Terror's Advocate
10. There Will Be Blood

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

135!! you must keep a running tally... i would lose track after about ten.

7:59 PM, January 02, 2008

 
Blogger AC said...

or he keeps the stubs, like i do. you know why i like your blog? because it has lots of lists. and i like lists.

10:26 PM, January 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you dislike Deathproof and Planet Terror? I really liked the former - you never knew what would happen next, fresh faces plus the always awesome Kurt Russell, hyper-realistic gore, girl power, car stunts, great music.

2:25 PM, January 05, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS As a former catalog guy, you should know that first movie still needs a caption - is it from Zodiac?

2:26 PM, January 05, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What--you didn't enjoy the first 3/4 of There Will Be Blood--my favorite of the year, even though the last 1/4 of the film flies off the rails. And what about No Country for Old Men?
janet
bellj1@shaw.ca

3:06 PM, January 16, 2008

 
Blogger Scott said...

@danny and lazysundae I know it was 135 because I wrote about every one of them! (Was it worth it? ummm...)

@wda No, I hated Grindhouse, both Deathproof and Planet Terror. A note-perfect homage to bad, boring movies makes for, in my opinion, bad, boring movies. The mock trailers, of course, were fun. And yes, the image is from Zodiac, which you should rent and watch tonight.

@janet No, I didn't really like There Will Be Blood at all, though there was certainly much to admire about it. And maybe No Country For Old Men—which I actually saw twice— should have made it onto that second top ten up there...

3:16 PM, January 16, 2008

 
Blogger AC said...

just caught there will be blood earlier this week - it would be up there in my top 10 i think. DDL must be insane to be that good. the host - entertaining but i agree w/ you here, not in my top flicks. grindhouse was also another favorite, if only for the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

9:15 PM, February 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home