A dad and his daughters, loving life in New York City

Wednesday, October 31

Dessert Truck

If there's a better place to live in this world than New York City, then... well, there isn't. And now, in addition to all of the other incredible things we have in this town, enter Dessert Truck. It's like an ice cream truck, or the Treats Truck, but instead of dispensing mobile frozen delights or baked goodies, this spanking new vehicle serves fully-realized, home-made-with-love, totally scrumptious, sit-down-fancy- restaurant-quality desserts, right there on the street!

A. Frikken. Mazing.

I waded through the costumed masses tonight to see if the story of Dessert Truck could really be true, and let me assure you my friends: it is. First I ordered the warm Chocolate Bread Pudding, its rich, sweet and full-cocoa-flavored sponginess lurking beneath a sticky pool of creme anglaise. This was a beautiful thing.

Did I mention that I purchased this on the street?! No waiting for a table, or a waiter... no dinner necessary... just me and my treat.

That would have been plenty on most nights, but seeing how it was Halloween and all, I bought a second dessert, this time going seasonal with an excellent Pumpkin Custard, creamy and autumnal, made even more delicious by the inclusion of gingerbread crumble, all surrounded by a bounty of crunchy, caramelized pecans, and topped with a gooey meringue. I was tempted to order a third dessert—Vanilla Creme Brulee? Molten Chocolate Cake?—but, you know... that would be kind of piggy.

Dessert Truck is parked on University Place between 9th and 8th Streets. Chef Jerome Chang (formerly of Le Cirque, says the website) and business partner Chris Chen were friendly, charming, and looked like there were having a great time. Dessert Truck will be open on weeknights starting at 6pm, weekends at noon, and will stay open until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Dessert Truck's presentation looks pretty amazing...especially since it's out of a truck!!

10:55 AM, November 01, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun review. I'll check it out.
wda

10:53 AM, November 02, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Have you ever checked out the hipster taco stand-cum-restaurant at Lafayette and Broome? I think it's to your taste and it's very cheap and fresh. Tacos are small, cheap, varied, and flavorful.
wda

10:55 AM, November 02, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the warm apple treat - it definitely hit the spot, but I have so many sweet spots, I'll have to amble back to hit 'em all! However, the stuff's so darn good, there was a little bit of a wait involved on Friday evening. Worth every minute.

2:56 PM, November 05, 2007

 
Anonymous singapore limousine said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand.

4:45 AM, February 22, 2013

 
Anonymous sunway lagoon said...

This post contains many useful info in every aspect. however one has to follow this information for better output.keep posting such type of article.

1:22 AM, April 05, 2013

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Fine cream mixed food please I like it
dessert truck

4:40 AM, November 17, 2015

 

Post a Comment

<< Home